12.9.13

AUTUMNAUTICAL


I used to think maybe it was plaid, or fair isle, because of the pattern; but in terms of comfort and ubiquity, I've decided that the winter equivalent to a classic breton top is an oatmealy and perfectly ovine fisherman's jumper. When worn correctly, each impart an old-world, at-home-on-the-beach look, but an arran sweater is so much more celtic and familiar. Around September, I remember that I actually own these articles, and being looking for excuses to wear them; paired with flat leather sandals and some ratty denim cutoffs, it's my favorite outfit of all time, the perfect mix of cozy and beachy, only to be worn this time of year. But the coast is the best place to be any season. Cool-weather nautical is, for me, the perfect, perfectly angst-y vibe to channel through late autumn and directly in to winter. You just have to imagine you're there. Think craggy cliffs breaking frothy waves of ice; wild winds buffeting tufts of heather on cliff tops; dark men dressed in wool, looking stern  under dark skies. 

You know, just like this:


I would live my entire life within this editorial. It's like, Wuthering Heights meets the Secret of Roan Inish. It's exactly what I want. Perhaps with the lead male re-cast, though Adam Driver does have  a certain charm... And speaking of charming, what about that magical, purely bluest gown? (Alberta Ferretti, satin-velvet, $3,000, just so you know.) But it's all perfect, really. Daria Werbowy wearing that golden nose ring, by the sea, is making me feel so wistful for a certain magical time in my past, it hurts.

Days gone by!




No comments:

Post a Comment