28.4.14

a hat for one season

When worn purely For Fashion, I find hats silly and pointless. I don't mean to make blanket statements, but as far as I can tell, the only people who can pull them off are frenchies (see: Jane Birkin, Brigitte Bardot, Clemence Poesy...)


 and the olsen twins, obv.


But there's a time and place for everything, and with summer fast approaching (and with it, my last twenty-something-th birthday) I feel it might be time to take every single magazine's advice and start wearing a sun hat, strictly seasonally, in order to protect my own delicately youthful visage. Because I don't know about you guys but I plan on sunning all summer long--I need it! Only, finding Just The Right Hat isn't always easy. Shape-wise, I'm pretty particular. I look ridiculous in baseball caps, so those are out. I'm afraid anything too nautical would be overkill with the stripes I will invariably be wearing all season long. Fedoras are too structured and indiana-jone-y for my taste, and I feel I'd need considerably more hat-wearing experience to feel comfortable in anything very floppy or wide-brimmed.  It should be made of straw, or raffia, in a neutral color, with as little adornment as possible; something utilitarian, but more safari-goer than gardener.

So to recap, I'm in the market for something understated, summery and soft (but not too soft), with a brim wide enough to block the sun, but not so wide as to make me conspicuous. And wouldn't you know it? The aforementioned Olsen Twins have hit the nail on the head with their recent collaboration with Yestadt Millinery, the results of which topped off The Row's s/s 2014 collection.



A cloche! Of course! Part bee-keeper, part Coco Chanel, equally dramatic and understated, it's everything I could ever want in a hat, and more. Trouble is, these don't appear to be for sale anywhere in the whole internet (though something tells me I couldn't afford it even if they were...) You can buy a similarly-shaped canvas fisherman hat, also by Yestadt Millinery, for $220 at Nordstrom, but that's obviously not going to cut it. So what's a summer girl to do? Googling 'straw cloche' resulted in few tenable options. I did find a couple that might suit, provided that their ribbons are removable, here and here. But by far the closest thing I've been able to find is this pleated straw cloche by Kangol.


Not sure how comfortable I feel spending $46 on a hat, especially one that isn't quite right (the ones for The Row are slightly more belled and asymmetrical, their straw braiding considerably more refined) but I suppose you can't have it all. And wouldn't this look great with my sunglasses? It may just have to do for now. But, I'm still on the lookout for Just the Perfect Thing. Please let me know if you find it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment