5.7.14

scream moon tiara boomerang!


Today is the stateside premier of the new Sailor Moon series, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon CrystalMaybe you didn't know this about me, but I'm a huge fan! It's a beautiful magical show about a charmingly clumsy, hapless teenaged girl who one day is beckoned by a wise and mystical talking cat into the magical parallel universe that exists all around her, one of shadowy figures and apparitions, which she is destined to rule as Princess of the Moon--if she could only find her allies and defeat the villain! It's Just like Harry Potter! 


Celebrating the the 20th anniversary of Naoko Takeuchi's original manga, the series promises to be a more faithful adaptation than the animated version that aired in the 90's (which, as I said before, I loved). I was especially excited to see the new theme song and transformation montages--they didn't disappoint! In particular, the lyrics to the new opening theme, "Moonpride," by Yasuharu Takanashi, were too good to be true… and worth transcribing myself to share with you:

moon pride
I want to support you

the tears rolling down my cheek
my eyes burning scarlet
someone is shouting love outloud
like a flash of lightning
no matter how dark it is
I know I'm not alone
moonlight shines upon us

we all have unshakable wills
we will fight on our own
without leaving our destiny to the prince

shiny make up 
we are gonna shine bright
under the starry sky
we are not helpless girls
who need men's protection
so… 

shiny make up
we are gonna fight
with power from the starry sky
a new legend begins right now
right here

la la pretty guardian
sailor moon!

I'd also recommend watching the Official Extended Trailer:




 I loved the first episode! Apart from the initial clues we are given towards Usagi's ultimate cosmic destiny, it features a classic early-series sailor moon plot line in which an evil, otherworldly vixen comes to steal human energy by brainwashing the people of tokyo with cheap tricks like 95% off jewelry sales, before ultimately crumbling into dust after being hit with one of Sailor Moon's accessories. 


You gotta check it out! And while we wait for the next episode to air, here are some more of my sailor-themed posts from the past, including who I'd cast if I were to produce a live-action adaptation; sailor-scout accessories; and some Usagi-esque fashion on the runway . 

Happy Scouting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment