15.1.14

maybe it's just me, but for me...


Just after christmas, Felix and I spent ten days in my old home town, Columbia Missouri. It's always so nice to go back, but it can be very nerve-wracking in its way. The people come and go, controversial apartment complexes are built, burned, and built again, but somehow it always feels exactly the same there, which serves to make me especially aware of the ways in which my life has changed since I moved away. Obviously, having a baby has drastically altered my daily routine, and engendered a shift in my priorities. But I find I've changed in other, subtler ways, that don't necessarily have anything to do with motherhood. Namely, I'm referring to my newfound love of soup. You see, before I had Felix, I hated soup. Truthfully, it has always had something to do with the sounds other people make when they eat it... but I don't know, something about it bothered me, conceptually. But then, when I was pregnant, all of the sudden I wanted soup all of the time. And here we are, three years later, and it's still one of my favorite things to eat. Isn't it crazy to think that it's been three years since I was pregnant? Let's stop talking about it. Anyway, I know I'm about 22,000 years late to this party, and maybe it's just me, but for me, soup is great! I love everything about it! And of course, it's the very best thing to eat this time of year, as it's healthy and sensible, but also warm and comforting; its easy to make but incredibly satisfying; and it makes your whole house smell delicious!

You know what I mean? I'm so glad I feel this way! Thank you, Felix (who ironically won't eat it). Right now, my very favorites (besides ramen, duh) are Potato Leek, Chicken Spaetzle, and Italian Wedding. And speaking of recipes, and also of soup, you know what they say...



image by Heike Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment