21.1.12

bear skin rugs

Maybe this sounds cold hearted and ungrateful, but I wish people would stop gifting Felix stuffed animals. Its not that I dont appreciate the sentiment... but, also, the thing is, were moving to England on an airplane soon, and that means that we cant take a lot of stuff with us. Specifically, stuffed animals. With a few exceptions--the striped elephant my mum brought from England when he was first born, or the Laura Ashley teddybear my dad got him for christmas, and anything hand-made--the very first thing I think when Felix opens a present to reveal a stuffed animal is, welp, thats not making the cut. Because all I think about is packing. Well, not really, but I do think about it a lot.


And I feel bad! But also, come on people, give us something we can work with, here! Like clothes, which manage to be cute and useful at the same time. Because no matter what, you do need to dress a baby, especially in the winter. And besides, Felix doesnt even know what to do with stuffed animals besides chew them, and then they get all gross, and thats what teethers are for, anyway.


So, sorry, everyone, but the animals will eventually have to go. Having moved as often as I have, Ive gotten pretty good at getting rid of things and remaining detached from stuff and junk. But I also have a tendency to personifying things, and stuffed animals have faces, so it makes me sad to think about getting rid of them even though they dont have feelings, duh.


Then, I saw this article about artist Augustina Woodgate, who makes elaborate (and large!) hand-sewn rugs from the skins of old stuffed animals. According to Wooddgate, 'the process starts with the departure of the loving life objects have when they are in the hands of their owners. The rugs not only 
reference the personal histories of the toy's owners, but investigate the rug as an object organizing and displaying memories and lineages.'


What a clever and beautiful way to preserve and honor the special place these toys can have in peoples lives, without having to keep a bunch of ratty old teddybears lying around.    

No comments:

Post a Comment