14.3.13

On Motherhood


One of the hardest parts about being a mother--apart from my apparent inability to talk about anything besides Felix on facebook--is the lack of the kind of solitary alone-time I took so for granted pre-parenthood. Growing up as I did in a house full of siblings (seven, even!) I could at least always go outside, on a walk, or eventually, to the room I got all to myself when my oldest sister moved out. Then after I moved out, even with all the roommates, I always had my own room, or the library, or the coffee shop, or the park, or wherever I wanted--in fact, I almost prefer feeling anonymously alone in public, you know? But having a baby is different. Even though our household currently comprises just the little three of us, my only proper alone time is won after beebeeboy goes to bed (later and later, thanks to daylight savings) and before husboyf gets home from work, if I can even stay up that late (I was fast asleep by 9:30 last night). And forget about losing yourself in your pretend-studying at a cafe of an afternoon; despite Felixs exceptionally well-developed toddler manners, I assume restaurant visits will be a production for at least the next five years. A white-people-problem if ever there was one, to be sure, but one which is amplified by the cabin-fever of late, latest, almost-but-not-quite-yet-springtime winter. Its for these reasons that I respond so strongly to the painting of Clare Elsaesser, who captures faceless females in moments of solitude and reflection. Of course, recurring motifs of vibrant pinky-orange flowers and oceans of green and blue, at once comforting and inspiring, resonate on an aesthetic level, as do titles like Summer Girl, Favorite Place, and My Home is the Sea. Apart from making me miss the ocean, her work reminds me that inner peace and quiet arent reliant on the company you keep, rather the care you take in calming your mind--a good and valuable sentiment always, but for this time of year in particular. 


Doesnt that last one remind you so much of The Poppy Field? Her work is all very evocative of the french impressionist movement, so I think I would like it regardless of subject matter. Also, homegirl obviously appreciates a good stripe, which makes me feel that we must be kindred spirits. Some of Ms. Elsaessers original work is available via her Etsy site, tastesorangey, but she also offers more affordable giclee prints, or even this set of five art-print cards, which as Ive said before, really do make for the best stationary. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment